Monday, March 8, 2010

A hot mess

Mother of the Year, indeed.  If ONLY I had the presence of mind to get a pic!  I can add another thing to the ever-growing list of things I swore I'd never do as a parent (you know, back when I was a perfect mom - before I had any kids).  

Abby's get-up she went to school in this morning consisted of: a pajama shirt covered by a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt, jeans that she got as a gift - they are huge in the waist and short in the legs, with little embroidered things all over - I hid them, but apparently she found them today.  Cinched tight with a belt, no less, creating a balloon effect at the top.  Novelty green & purple ankle socks, and boots that remind me of Napoleon Dynamite's moon boots.  But at least they cover up the socks and flood pants.  Oh, and a turquoise wooden beaded bracelet - the finishing touch. 

My alarm went off at 6:30...after I dragged myself out of bed, I came downstairs to find that she was already dressed.  Like a designer on Runway, she stood by her outfit.  She was SO proud of it.  Maybe on another day I would have been more insistent, but today I just didn't have the heart to tell her to change.

Letting my child put together her own outfits and wear them out of the house...check.

That got me thinking...what else is there?  What else do I do that I swore I'd never do?  Dare I go there?  Deep breath...

- Owning a video game console...check
- Letting my kids watch TV, even obnoxious shows like (gulp) Spongebob...sigh, check*
- Cereal for dinner on nights that I just can't muster up the energy...check
- "Because I'm your Mommy and I said so"...check, and proud of it
- Licking my thumb and wiping sticky stuff off of faces...check (sorry, kids)
- Not using spanking as a disciplinary measure...check
- Finger-combing hair when I've realized that we forgot to brush it before leaving the house...check

*the dreaded Spongebob show is by far the most objectionable show they watch.  By far.  Nevertheless, they love it.  And what's more, I have to admit...it's pretty funny.  It does get turned off when it gets too obnoxious.  I really have no idea how it all started, letting them watch that show.  You wanna criticize?  Go ahead, I'm sure I deserve it. 

The list could probably go on, but those are the things that used to make me say, "What kind of parent...?"  I guess I know now.  ;) 

1 comment:

  1. Rach, back in my day we didn't even have a clue but, guess what, our kids grow up to be great people despite us!!! That's what I have learned. And you are married to proof of that!!!! PS... you are a GREAT mom!!!!!

    ReplyDelete