Saturday, January 16, 2010

Menu plan

I sometimes play a game with myself...I see how little I can spend on groceries in a week and still fool Greg into thinking that I'm out there just buying whatever I want.  Tee hee!  But sometimes we just need to cut back, and this month is one of those times. 

I blame it on the snow.  Seriously!  Greg had to use the Explorer for like 2 weeks solid to go back and forth to work earlier this month - that's 500 miles a week, mind you - and that 14 year old gas-eating dinosaur is merciless.  Don't get me wrong - we love it...it's paid for, it's huge and intimidating to other drivers safe, it's super-comfortable, it's awesome in the snow, but terrible for the gas budget.  (EVEN at the rock-bottom price of $2.75 a gallon.  Why, they're practically giving it away.)

Groceries are usually the easiest place to cut back.  My goal is to cut the usual total in half (ambitious I know).  So here is my meal plan (dinner only) for the coming week:  

Tonight - pancakes (the kids LOVE that)
Sunday - soup & grilled cheese - it's just me & the kids anyway
Monday - black bean soup, rice, cornbread - the soup is a leftover; I made a double batch yesterday
Tuesday - pecan-crusted tilapia, steamed broccoli, bread (have the fish in the freezer already)
Wednesday - pot roast & veggies, bread (have the roast in the freezer already - are we seeing a trend here?)
Thursday - Potato soup w/bacon, bread (have potatoes already)
Friday - homemade pizza
Saturday - vegetable stew, crusty bread

I know, I'd never last a day on the South Beach Diet.  Good thing I don't care, huh?

I'm going out today to do this week's shopping.  We shall see how I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment