Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Show & Tell

I am so thankful to have kids who are happy with the "little" things.  This may change as they get older...as our mechanic says, the older they get, the more expensive the toys get...but maybe not.  Today was Nolan's day for show & tell at his preschool.  We didn't have to mortgage the house or sell Ian or anything, but the kids did get some really cool stuff this year.  And then Greg surprised us all with a Wii.  Way cool.  Even though I still think that video games have the power to, over time, turn normal, would-be intelligent people into slack-jawed non-thinking morons who can't even spell, I have to admit that the thing is soooooo much fun.  It really is!  Anyway, Nolan got a remote control car which is great fun, some new games & other stuff.  Do you know what he wanted to bring to show & tell?  A 25-cent glow-in-the-dark farm animal that was in his stocking.  He asked the teacher to turn the light off so he could show everyone how it glows.  How adorable is that???  One of his other faves is this dry-erase clock thing, where you can make it any time you want and write stuff on it - a $1 stocking stuffer.  Abby got some really cool stuff too...and her two favorite things are ankle socks with stars on them, and her dry-erase "learning to write cursive" thing - the two together didn't cost $2. I do realize that age 6 is a little young to be pushing cursive on my daughter, but honestly, the girl has had a burning desire to learn the "pretty writing" for months and months now. 

Their little "lap desks" were a big hit too!  So cute.  

Anyway, I could go on and on about this, speculating about whether they'll still be happy with the "simple" things in their teenage years...but who wants to think of their teenage years right now?  If I could freeze time with Abby at 6 and Nolan at 4, I would.  Except, maybe I'd fast-forward Nolan to the part where he starts eating dinner again.  But then I'd freeze time. 

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get that rug? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love it too! I got it at Value City right before they went out of business. I'd tell you the price, but I don't want to brag...well, OK, it was $75. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete