Sunday, June 6, 2010

Feast your eyes on THIS!

Just look at this beautiful green loveliness!  I vowed the first time I made this (maybe a week or so ago), never to buy a packet of guacamole mix again, ever, ever, ever.  I don't think I could ever go back.  We went to Chili's yesterday and of course I had some guac, and I thought, ewMine is so much better than this flavorless mush!  I can't really even take credit for anything; I just found the recipe online.  I didn't change a thing - well, I left out the onion.  That's it.  

Do yourself a favor and make this.  Here's the recipe:
Just mush up (but not too much!) the avocados, lime juice, & salt.  I use my pastry blender because it feels lonely & useless sometimes when I'm not on one of my pie kicks.  But you could also use a fork just fine.  Then chop up & add everything else, and stir in in.  The fresher the ingredients, the better.  I really shouldn't be telling anyone how easy this is.  

Do yourself another favor and get at least one of these:
Tupperware FridgeSmart containers are the bomb.  I don't even sell it, I just love these containers!  That cilantro & parsley in there?  It's like 2 weeks old.  Not a hint of anything...no wilting, spotting, or anything gross - just fresh & green, like the day I bought it. 

Thanks to my friend Heidi who taught me this little trick: to keep your guac from turning brown, do this:
Put plastic wrap over it, and push it down onto the dip so that no air can get in.  This really works.  I've tried other things in the past, but it always turns brown.  This really works.  I believe I said that already.  This particular recipe I think stays nice and green for a long time because of all the lime juice in it.  But the plastic wrap thing doesn't hurt either. 

And just so you know, Greg thinks I'm insane for taking pics of my guacamole.  He walked into the kitchen as I was doing it.  I can't say that I didn't feel just a little stupid.  No, not stupid....well yeah, kinda stupid.  Oh well.  He should expect these kinds of things after almost 9 years. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah Rach you have me laughing out loud. Nate catches me doing things like that and I always feel stupid too :) Looks delish. Great tip on the saran, had not heard that!

    ReplyDelete